Skip to content Skip to footer

First Flush at the All England Eleven

corner Princes and Rouse Streets, Port Melbourne, October 2015

This unprepossessing corner was once the site of the All England Eleven Hotel. The hotel was demolished in 1953 according to this account in The Herald of this week’s date:

“If you stand in Princes Street, Port Melbourne and look in through the windows of the derelict All England Eleven Hotel, you can see the sky. The hotel has lost its roof and is fast losing everything else, too, as demolition works go on. Eventually, it will disappear and a block of flats go up in its place.

But memories will linger …

One of the port’s ‘old-timers’, Mr G Porritt, who lives a few doors away, remembers when the All England Eleven was the busiest spot in town.

The last licensee, Mrs M Cass – she is now the licensee of the Queens Bridge Hotel, South Melbourne, said it was delicensed before the First World War. Later it became a guest house. For many years  its present owners Swallow and Ariell Ltd have used it as a store. Mystery surrounds its name. But the first official English Test team visited Australia in 1876 a year before it was built. Another hotel, in Bay St, was called the All Australian Eleven (sic). That is a factory now.” (Herald 23 February 1953, p9)

All England Eleven Hotel in Port Melbourne

This corner is more significant for being the first place in Melbourne to be connected to the sewerage system in 1897.

FIRST FLUSH 1897: “The sewerage connections at the All England Eleven Hotel have been passed by the Metropolitan Board of Works’ officers, and the drains are now in full working order. We understand that this is the first completed connection in the Port. Mr. W. Robertson, of 431 Law Courts Place, was the plumber who carried out the work”. (Standard 21 August 1897, p2)

The plaque in the footpath on Princes St marks this very important milestone in public health. The anniversary of this event is marked on 17 August each year.

cnr Rouse and Princes Streets, Port Melbourne

Postscript: when a planning permit was issued for the redevelopment of the property in 2015, a condition on the permit required the reinstatement of the plaque in the footpath. The City of Port Phillip took care of the plaque during the protracted development. The plaque was reinstated into the Princes St footpath in November 2019.

Post Postscript: these pictures from August 2023 show the apartment block on the corner of Princes and Rouse Streets including the location of the plaque.

Apartments, cnr Princes & Rouse Streets, August 2023. Photograph by David Thompson.
Location of the plaque at the corner of Princes & Rouse Streets, August 2023. Photograph by David Thompson.
Plaque at the corner of Princes & Rouse Streets, August 2023. Photograph by David Thompson.

Note: The All Australian Eleven Hotel in Bay St, mentioned in the 1953 Herald article, was actually the Australian Eleven Hotel.


Items of News“, Standard 21 August 1897, p2

Stumps are being drawn at the All England XI Hotel“, Herald 23 February 1953, p9

You may also like this post on how the All England Eleven got its name.

For the planning history of the site, refer to Port Houses, 286 Rouse St, Port Melbourne

Leave a comment

PMHPS acknowledges the generous support of the City of Port Phillip.


The content of this site (images and text) must not be reproduced in any form without the prior consent of PMHPS or the copyright holder.

Acknowledgement of Traditional Custodians

We respectfully acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the land on which we meet and work, the Bunurong Boon Wurrung and Wurundjeri Woi Wurrung peoples of the Eastern Kulin Nation and pay respect to their Elders past, present and emerging.