Employment at Kitchens

From the Collection A photograph from the J Kitchen and Sons collection  In summer of 1854-5, John Kitchen, former grocer and candle-maker from Reading, England, arrived in Melbourne, Victoria, with three young sons and little money, to begin a new … [Read more...]

Holy Trinity Guild Cookery Book

From the Collection Holy Trinity Guild Cookery Book In January 1909 a fierce storm blew down the 59 year old Holy Trinity iron church. The church Ladies Working Guild went into action to help with the fund raising for a new church.  They … [Read more...]

Commemorating the Liardets

From the Collection Port Melbourne Centenary Souvenir and commemorative enamelled badges and pins Liardet's ARRIVAL On November 15, 1839, the good ship 'William Metcalfe' anchored in Hobson’s Bay.  She carried Mr. and Mrs. Wilbraham … [Read more...]

Captain Gray, Master of the Paddle Steamers

From the collection Scrapbook of Captain Harry Gray: Master of the Paddle Steamers PS Hygeia and PS Weeroona Captain Gray kept a scrapbook of newspaper clippings of various shipping events and stories on Port Phillip Bay from 1888 to 1976 which … [Read more...]

Signalling the Quarters for over 70 years: The PMFC’s Timekeepers’ Bell

From 1878, this 30cm. 14 Kg red bell was rung by the match timekeepers to signal the end of each quarter of a football game at Port Melbourne Oval. For the fiercely loyal and parochial Borough supporters, the final ringing at each game was of either … [Read more...]

A Soldiers Story: Private George Williams (1895 – 1975)

In 1998 the Society received a donation of a framed mounted photograph and medals of a World War 1 soldier donated by his daughter and granddaughter. They wanted it preserved because there was no one left in the family to whom it could be … [Read more...]

Documenting Change: the Ron Laing collection

The Ron Laing Collection PMH&PS is fortunate to have in its collection an impressive number of photographs taken by Ron Laing (1920 to 2003) Ron Laing spent the years between his retirement in 1984 and the end of his life documenting the … [Read more...]

Movement at the Station (Pier)

From the PMHPS collection A place of “Welcome and Farewell”  - Early settlers, cargo ships, soldiers going overseas to fight in the wars, new migrants and travellers embarking on an overseas holiday would throw coloured streamers to family, … [Read more...]

Historic Marriage Records Preserved by the PMHPS

The original Church of England in the Borough of Sandridge was established in a tent on the corner of Bay and Graham Streets in 1854. It was reported in the Church of England Messenger of 1854 that '...a commodious tent, we'll fitted up, has been … [Read more...]

Hard Times in Port

Some of the early items added to the PMHPS collection were three very large pawnbroker’s pledge books. They were found in a chimney in Bay Street, from the Johnny Allsorts Pawnbrokers. They contain thousands of poignant transactions involving most … [Read more...]

Comodo SSL