PMHPS Logo Contents Page Precinct Map Previous Page
History of a Street Precinct
Farrell Street & Cambridge Street

Farrell Street & Cambridge Street

The row of houses 143-165 Farrell Street Property were built around 1902-03 for George Cuscaden Biography, a local doctor and former Port Melbourne Councillor and Mayor. The modern house at 167 Farrell St Property replaced another of Cuscaden's houses completing the block between Albert St and Clark St.

In earlier times, from the mid to late 1880s, the houses in that part of Farrell St were owned by Jane Slaven Biography

Jane Slaven owned over 50 properties in Port Melbourne including 6 houses in Bridge Street, 15 houses in Farrell St and 15 houses in Cambridge St.

As can be seen opposite on the section of MMBW map dating from 1894, Cambridge St opened onto Farrell St.

In 1895-6, 11 of her houses in Cambridge Street were demolished by order of the City of Port Melbourne valuer. In 1898 another 9 of her houses in Farrell Street were demolished.

George Cuscaden then built his houses on the recently vacant land and Cambridge St was closed at Farrell St and can now only be accessed from Albert St.

Section of 1894 MMBW map showing Cambridge St intersecting with Farrell St (PMHPS Collection)