Skip to content Skip to footer
Town Hall, 333 Bay Street, Port Melbourne
Town Hall, 333 Bay Street, Port Melbourne

Liardet Street

LIardet? or Lee-ar-day? There may be some uncertainty over the pronunciation but anyone living in Port Melbourne would know this street running between Pickles St to the east and Princes St to the west. Liardet St has two quite different characters: heavily trafficked east of Bay St and quietly residential west of Bay St. W.F.E. Liardet Liardet St is named…

Read more

Those Creative Liardets

180th Anniversary In celebration of Port Melbourne's founding father Capt Wilbraham Frederick Evelyn Liardet, the Port Melbourne Historical & Preservation Society exhibits a selection of works from some of his creative descendants. This showcase commemorates his arrival in 1839 and honours the creative legacy that Wilbraham left behind within his many descendants. Port Melbourne Town Hall Thursday 14 November -…

Read more

Greater Port Melbourne – 1939 Centenary Celebrations

Greater Port Melbourne: Official Souvenir of the 1939 Port Melbourne Centenary Celebrations Committee From October 28 to November 25, 1939 the City of Port Melbourne celebrated the landing of the Wilbraham and Caroline Liardet and their children on The Beach on November 15, 1839. The Centenary Committee produced a souvenir booklet entitled Greater Port Melbourne and it gives a glimpse into the…

Read more

Adventuring Liardets & Celebrating the Landing

Pamela Horsley's Adventuring with the Liardets and the PMHPS complementary exhibition Celebrating the Landing  open on Friday 14th at 7 pm at Gasworks Arts Park. Most of the images of the Liardets we see are black and white, and yet we know from every account that their lives were full of colour and flair. Pamela Horsley brings the words of recollection to…

Read more

Celebrating the Landing – 175th Liardet Anniversary

Complementing Pamela Horsley’s ‘Adventuring with the Liardets’, the Port Melbourne Historical and Preservation Society presents ‘Celebrating the Landing’ – an exhibition detailing how Port Melbourne has commemorated other anniversaries of the Liardet family’s 1839 arrival on The Beach.  Events include the momentous, month-long Liardet Centenary of 1939 as well as the 160th and 170th celebrations in 1999 and 2009. Panorama photograph…

Read more

This is Where the Story Ends

In the story of our first settlers we often focus on the arrival in November 1839, their subsequent settlement at the Beach and those early years during the establishment of Sandridge but what of their later life? By 1853 Wilbraham and Caroline Liardet were living at the Chusan Hotel in Bay Street, which was owned by their sons, Frank and Hector. A…

Read more

Liardet brings news of Separation

On 1 July 1851, the Port Phillip district formally separated from New South Wales to become the colony of Victoria. From the 1840s onwards there was growing discontent in the Port Phillip district. People complained of being in 'the thrall' of New South Wales and that insufficient resources were directed towards the urgent and growing needs of Melbourne and the Port…

Read more

Lagoon Tales

There are endless stories to tell about the former Sandridge Lagoon and environs. But you've got to begin somewhere. This account by Josephine Liardet, daughter of Wilbraham Liardet, is especially evocative. She recalled that in the early days "The lagoon was covered with wild ducks and in the trees were cockatoos, plovers, pigeons. Hector and Jack used to get up between 3…

Read more