Bridge Street

by David Radcliffe Bridge Street is one of three streets that both traverse Port Melbourne from east to west, cross the light rail tracks and extend into Fishermans Bend, the others being Ingles Street and Graham Street. Originally it only ran … [Read more...]

A Corner Shop

In the days before supermarkets and large shopping centres the people of Port Melbourne and other inner suburbs shopped every day at small local shops located cheek by jowl amongst their own houses. One such shop was located on the corner of … [Read more...]

Victor Lane Uniacke and Family

Ray Jelley Victor had an intriguing way of letting his mother know that he would soon be arriving close to home so that she could deliver his lunch to him without interrupting his work-day – he blew the train whistle. This oral history record was … [Read more...]

Fennell Street and Fennell Reserve

David F Radcliffe Fennell Street and Fennell Reserve are both located at the extremities of present day Port Melbourne. This is ironic given that Melville Henry Albert Fennell, after who these are both named, was at the centre of community life in … [Read more...]

Women activists in Port

This piece is assembled from material on the PMHPS website and publications. The authors are gratefully acknowledged. You will find links to the posts at the end of this article. In response to the call put out by organiser Janine Hendry, … [Read more...]

Stella Edwards 1883 – 1975

Stella Edwards Sarah Stella Edwards, known as Stella at her preference, was born into a close-knit Sandridge pioneering family that was strong on talent and ability. Even so, she was notable among them as the independent, entrepreneurial and … [Read more...]

The Closing of Faram Bros

Faram Bros Hardware, January 2007. PMHPS Collection Early in 2007 Wanted posters featuring Doug Faram appeared in the Borough. Faram Bros Hardware store in Bay Street was closing and former customers were invited to a Street Party and Sausage … [Read more...]

James Graham: was Graham Street, Port Melbourne named after this man?

by Margaret Bride Detail, Plan of allotments marked at Sandridge in the parish of South Melbourne / surveyed by Lindsay Clarke Assit. Surr., 1849. State Library of Victoria. In 1849 the government surveyor published a Street Plan of … [Read more...]

Prince Arthur Hotel

Thomas O'Brien established the Prince Arthur Hotel on the corner of Nott and Spring Streets, opposite the Bowling Club, in 1870. That original structure was rebuilt in 1882 to a design by architect T J Crouch. The Prince Arthur was among the ten … [Read more...]

Fundraising Stalls and Christmas Dinners

PMHPS fundraising/information stall in conjunction with Port Melbourne Tourism Association, Station Pier, 9 November 1994 during the visit of the Replica Endeavour. Photographer Pat Grainger, PMHPS Collection Over its twenty-Seven year history, … [Read more...]

Comodo SSL