Pye Street (highlighted). Robinson's Street Directory of Melbourne and Suburbs, Ed 3, c. mid 1940s.
Pye Street is a short street running from Williamstown Road to Dunstan Parade in Garden City. It is named for former Victorian State politician, Henry Pye.
Henry Pye was born on Christmas Day, 1873 to a farming family at Burnewang near Rochester, Victoria. At a young…
by Margaret Bride
Sangster Memorial. Photo: Janet Bolitho.
Sangster Reserve occupies the small triangular piece of land behind the Port Melbourne Bowling Club between Princes and Nott Streets. The area includes a children's playground and nearby there is an art deco style electrical substation. Just inside the Nott Street entrance is this monument commemorating the life of George Sangster, once a…
William Henry Prohasky served on the Port Melbourne Council from August 1885 to September 1893. He was Mayor from 1888 to 1889. His fellow councillors were Poolman, Plummer, Edwards, Salmon, Turnbull, and Tarver.
He lived at that time at 73 Evans St on the corner of Farrell St in Gloster House, one of three adjacent houses built by…
by Margaret Bride
Jetty at Sandridge, State Library of Victoria
For over 100 years Town Pier jutted out to sea from the end of Bay Street an extension of the route from the city of Melbourne to the ships in Port Phillip Bay. This was the site of the first small jetty built by the Liardet family soon after they built…
by Jim West and David Radcliffe
The premises of the Port Melbourne Engineering Works, built by Albert T Harman in Derham Street, Port Melbourne in 1902, included a foundry for casting components out of iron and brass. In November 1934, this foundry was purchased by his son, Alfred Henry Harman, and James Robertson and registered as JV Robertson Pty Ltd.…
by David Radcliffe
Eighty years ago this month, the Second World War came very close to Port Melbourne. Early in the morning of February 26, 1942, a small float plane, launched from a Japanese submarine, conducted a reconnaissance flight around Port Phillip Bay, observing the port and other facilities.
That morning, Marlene Firman and her younger sister, Gloria, were sound…
by David Radcliffe
Around Port Melbourne there are streets, like Bain Street, that once existed but have since disappeared. There are many more streets whose name has been changed.
In April 1878, a cluster of intersecting streets in the south-western corner of the rapidly expanding Sandridge were gazetted as shown below.1 One of these was Bismarck Street.
Note the self-referential nature of…
Port Melbourne's beacons, also known as the leading lights, define the centre line of the Port Melbourne Channel. The light was visible for 14 nautical miles. Until superseded by more recent technology, the beacons guided vessels safely to the piers.
In 1923 once the new Railway Pier, later Princes Pier, was fully operational, the Melbourne Harbor Trust wrote to…
The site was purchased by Sydney-based developer Ilya Melnikoff in July 2021 for $16.65 million. This will be only their second project in Melbourne - the first being in Albert St, East Melbourne.
The 1400 sq m site was acquired from Melbourne developer V-Leader, which paid $11.2 million for it in 2017.
The development will be re-branded as Pier…
Surely such a grandly named boulevard would be one of the more prominent streets in Port Melbourne. Nothing could be further from the truth.
Barkly Avenue is a short laneway off Garton Street, tucked in behind Crockford Street.
It is named in honour of Sir Henry Barkly who was Governor of Victoria when the Borough of Sandridge gained separation from…