Notice for Weekly Diggers' Dances at the Anzac Memorial Hall, Standard Newspaper, 7 February 1920.
After the war, weekly dance evenings known as Diggers' Dances were held in the Anzac Memorial Hall. The Returned Sailors' and Soldiers' Cricket Club advertised the dances in the Standard, 7 February 1920. The dances would commence on Wednesday 18 February and in preparation, the club also…
Programme (photocopy) for the Final Welcome Home in the Graham Street Methodist School Hall on Saturday 14 February 1920. PMHPS Collection.
At 8pm on 14 February 1920 the Graham Street Methodists conducted the Final Welcome Home to their Returned Soldiers in the Graham Street Methodist School Hall.
Under the chairmanship of the Rev J Trathan, the programme opened with the doxology and…
One of the issues raised at the meeting of the Port Melbourne branch of the Sailors’ and Soldiers’ Fathers’ Association on Monday 12 January 1920 was the intention of the branch to erect a memorial to the local men who were killed in the war.
Cr Owen Sinclair suggested Edwards Park on the land reclaimed from the lagoon would make…
Calling card of Mrs Elizabeth Ann Collins, OBE of 74 Nott St, Port Melbourne. PMHPS Collection.
A jewell amongst the scraps of paper found when the Nott Street School "Old Boys" Memorial was moved from the school to the Port Melbourne Town Hall was a visiting card belonging to Mrs E A Collins, OBE.
Mrs Elizabeth Ann Collins was appointed as an Officer…
Amongst the many papers found in the recess of the Nott Street School "Old Boys" Memorial is one very poignant note.
While all the papers bar one bear the name or names of Nott Street "Old Boys" who enlisted and some include a date of birth, the unit they served in or their residence in Port. Many note that the soldier…
Nott Street School Roll of Honour. PMHPS Collection.
For the best part of 75 years the Nott Street WWI Roll of Honour rested securely in a recess in the “Old Boys” memorial at the school. When the school closed in 1993 the memorial was moved to the foyer of the Port Melbourne Town Hall in Bay Street and the roll, along…
The Sandridge Marine Lodge established their Freemasons' Hall in Stokes Street in 1858 and remained there until just before the outbreak of the Great War. In July 1914 they sold their Masonic Hall to Swallow and Ariell Pty Ltd. It made perfect sense for the biscuit company to acquire a neighbouring building for their ongoing business needs. The Freemasons had…
1919 Anzac Day Appeal Sticker. PMHPS Collection
This sticker from the 1919 Anzac Remembrance Day Appeal in aid of the Memorial Building for Returned Sailors and Soldiers has survived for 100 years because it was used to secure the separate pages of the Nott Street School 'foolscap list' of "Old Boys" who enlisted for the First World War.
Order of Service, Nott Street State School. PMHPS Collection
This order of service, presumably from an Anzac Day commemoration, was found within a recess of the Nott Street School Old Boys Honour Board along with many other pieces of paper bearing the names of soldiers to be included on the school's Honour Roll.
It gives an insight into how the school commemorated…
Amongst the items discovered in the recess within the Nott Street School “Old Boys” Memorial were two lists of names on loose leaf paper.
The first we dubbed the ‘pin list’ because the pages were held together by a small pin. The second list we have called the ‘foolscap list’ since it was written on foolscap sized paper. Specifically the list…