by David Thompson
Dulcie Smith, Queen of the Sunday School and her Court, Holy Trinity Carnival, November 1931. PMHPS Collection.
For many years this photograph remained an uncatalogued item in the Society's archives but thanks to a plea for information on Facebook in May 2022 we now know that it is Dulcie Smith, Queen of the Sunday School and her court…
One of the loveliest items in the PMHPS Collection is Cat No 581, a small metal matchbox promoting Swallow and Ariell Ltd.
Swallow & Ariell Ltd promotional matchbox. PMHPS Collection (Cat No 581).
It is only 6cm by 4.3cm with a full coloured paper insert fitted into the lid with a swallow swooping over the words
With Compliments From Swallow &…
As the ubiquitous adoption of electronic mail and text messages on smart devices has become the norm for our daily communications the practice of exchanging Christmas cards has declined enormously.
It doesn't seem that long ago that mantlepieces, sideboards, desks and even office windows were crowded with festive cards. People sent cards to their friends and family, businesses to their important…
The Cairns Post newspaper of Tuesday 20 September 1921 carried the first reports of a terrible disaster in the remote mining township of Mount Mulligan, 1,797 km north west of Brisbane. Reports at that early stage were vague and at times contradictory but it was clear that around 9am the previous day an explosion had occurred at the Mount Mulligan…
Hospital ship, MS Oranje, at Port Melbourne, 1940s. Photograph by Roy Liebig. PMHPS Collection.
This story was sparked by a couple of images in the PMHPS Collection taken by Roy Liebig in the 1940s. Both images appear later in this story so more on those later.
MS Oranje, 1940s. Photo by Roy Liebig. PMHPS Collection.
The MS Oranje started life in the…
Duke and Duchess of York outside Port Melbourne Town Hall, 11 May 1927. PMHPS Collection
In 1927 the Duke and Duchess of York (future King George VI and Queen Elizabeth, later the Queen Mother) visited Australia for the official opening of Parliament House in Canberra.
After the ceremonies, the royal couple returned to Victoria by train alighting at Montague so…
Thomas O'Brien established the Prince Arthur Hotel on the corner of Nott and Spring Streets, opposite the Bowling Club, in 1870. That original structure was rebuilt in 1882 to a design by architect T J Crouch.
The Prince Arthur was among the ten Port hotels that were delicensed in 1915. For the next seventy years or so the…
PMHPS fundraising/information stall in conjunction with Port Melbourne Tourism Association, Station Pier, 9 November 1994 during the visit of the Replica Endeavour. Photographer Pat Grainger, PMHPS Collection
Over its twenty-Seven year history, the Port Melbourne Historical and Preservation Society has had many stalls and displays serving the dual purpose of raising funds to assist the work of the Society and to…
ARP Lapel Badge. PMHPS Collection.
PMHPS has a small number ARP lapel badges in the collection (right). They serve as a reminder that while WWI was mostly fought in far-off Europe, during WWII there was a very real danger that air raids could strike Australia and that the ARP played an important role in preparing the civilian population for such attacks.
Recently the PMHPS acquired a magnificent picture showing a distinguished visitor being officially welcomed to Port Melbourne. But who is this dignitary resplendent in his ostrich feather festooned bicorne hat? Is it the Prince of Wales (later Edward VIII) in 1920 or the Duke of York (later George VI) in 1927? Turns out it was their younger brother Prince…