Now and Then Exhibition 2021

Now and Then Exhibition presented by the Port Melbourne Historical and Preservation Society, 2021. Proceed to the Exhibition … [Read More...]

‘Lagoon Reserve’: Residential or Recreational?

by David Radcliffe In the 1890s, the name ‘lagoon reserve’ applied to any part of the strip of reclaimed land, bounded by Esplanade East and Esplanade West, extending from Bridge St to Rouse St. Formed by filling in the Sandridge Lagoon, it was also known as the ‘lagoon lands’. The recreational park we know today as Lagoon Reserve, between … [Read More...]

Alfred Harman & Sons: Engineers of Derham Street

by David Radcliffe Twenty-one year old Alfred Harman is reported to have started his engineering business in 1885.1 He proudly advertised his services as an “engineer, blacksmith and brass-founder” offering “engines and machinery of every description made to order and repaired at lowest possible rates”.2 His firm, the Port Melbourne Engineering … [Read More...]

Mount Mulligan Disaster

The Cairns Post newspaper of Tuesday 20 September 1921 carried the first reports of a terrible disaster in the remote mining township of Mount Mulligan, 1,797 km north west of Brisbane. Reports at that early stage were vague and at times contradictory but it was clear that around 9am the previous day an explosion had occurred at the Mount Mulligan … [Read More...]


Swallow & Ariell viewed from Princes St 1987 PMHPS Collection The National Trust has argued that the smell of Vegemite, produced at Fishermans Bend, warrants recognition as part of the heritage of the place.  This has prompted a post on how many Port stories are associated with smells. The fetid Sandridge Lagoon gave rise to virtually a whole … [Read More...]

The Port Melbourne Historical and Preservation Society is a totally voluntary, non-profit, incorporated organisation founded in 1993 to preserve the identity of our historic port town.


PMHPS acknowledges the generous support of the City of Port Phillip
Images must not be reproduced without prior written permission.

Comodo SSL