Skip to content Skip to footer

Random post about dogs

There is something in the Society’s collection for every interest. A leather bound alphabetical index book lists all dogs registered in Port Melbourne in 1892 by owner surname. Even in 1892 there were dogs large and small – from Newfoundlands to poodles. The names of the dogs are not recorded – that would have been revealing.

Register of Dogs. Port Melbourne Historical and Preservation Collection
Register of Dogs 1892. PMHPS Collection.
This undated portrait of Mrs Caroline Liardet as a young woman, before she came to these shores, shows her with a rather surprised looking dog on her lap – is it a King Charles spaniel?
Caroline Liardet. State Library of Victoria
Caroline Liardet. State Library of Victoria
Caroline Liardet was the wife of  Wilbraham Frederick Evelyn Liardet and mother of their nine children. They arrived in Sandridge on board the William Metcalfe in November 1839.

Port Melbourne plays Williamstown at North Port Oval this weekend. Dogs play a role in this old rivalry.  As you can see, no dogs are allowed but that rule was apparently flouted by a President of the Williamstown Football Club.

No dogs allowed at North Port Oval.
No dogs allowed at North Port Oval

Any dog tales out there?

Leave a comment

PMHPS acknowledges the generous support of the City of Port Phillip.


The content of this site (images and text) must not be reproduced in any form without the prior consent of PMHPS or the copyright holder.

Acknowledgement of Traditional Custodians

We respectfully acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the land on which we meet and work, the Bunurong Boon Wurrung and Wurundjeri Woi Wurrung peoples of the Eastern Kulin Nation and pay respect to their Elders past, present and emerging.