Launch of Melbourne Maritime Heritage Network
City of Melbourne Councillor, Jackie Watts was at the helm of the inaugural AGM of the Melbourne Maritime Heritage Network (the Network) at the lower Melbourne Town Hall on Wednesday 23 October. She lamented the ‘depth of amnesia about Melbourne’s maritime heritage’. The intention of the network, as the name suggests, is to bring together individuals and organisations with an interest in Melbourne’s deeply interesting maritime heritage. PMHPS needs no persuasion!
With good intent and collaboration, the network will seek to elevate the status of Melbourne’s maritime heritage and pursue these outcomes:
- a single responsible authority for all maritime matters
- a Docklands Maritime Museum
- a Maritime Specialist Skills Institute
- a Martime Services Depot close to the CBD
- a Maritime Trail from Birrarung Marr through to the Bolte Bridge.
Visit the Melbourne Maritime Heritage Network website for more information.