Mr Webster’s Brother

Margaret Bride writes Our house in Evans Street was built by John Webster in 1886. He and his wife Mary lived there until his death in 1916. John Webster was a carpenter, working on the docks and at sea. This is a photo of his younger brother whose … [Read more...]

Keeping Warm in Port

It is one of Port’s often told stories - how people ‘knocked off’ coal from the trucks taking coal to the Gasworks from Town Pier at the end of Bay Street. Emily Lock remembered ‘The different cargoes were a source of wonder. Some of them brought … [Read more...]

Comodo SSL