Frederick Thomas Derham was born in Somerset, England, in 1844 and arrived in Melbourne with his family in 1856. Derham's first business undertaking was as a mercantile broker with Callender Calwell & Co. In 1864, he married Ada Anderson with whom he had three sons and a daughter. Ada died in 1874.
Derham had met Thomas Swallow, founder of Swallow…
About 250 returned soldiers and sailors with about the same number of relatives attended the civic reception provided by the Mayor, Cr Richard Gill and councillors at Port Melbourne Town Hall on the afternoon of 5 Dec 1918.
The reception and the ‘smoke concert’ to be held later that evening were the work of the Anzac Reception Committee that had been…
‘On Tuesday morning [12 Nov 1918], before 8 o’clock, the 700 girls and 650 men and lads employed at … Swallow and Ariell assembled at the factory – but not to work’. They cheered the King, the Empire, the Allies, and Australia again and again. They then formed a procession with the company’s motor wagons and led by a car they…
From the Collection - Swallow's Art Deco postcards from the 1930s (catalogue no 2929)
A set of postcards from the 1930s was presented to the Society by George Derham, a descendant of Frederick Derham.
Frederick Derham was Managing Director of Swallow & Ariell Limited, manufacturers of biscuits etc. in Port Melbourne for well over 100 years. Thomas Swallow established the firm with…
The 'Lagoon question' preoccupied the residents and Council of Port Melbourne for decades.
For those readers not familiar with the extent of the Sandridge Lagoon, it is clearly shown in this map and was described by surveyor Grimes in 1803
... a salt lagoon about a mile long and quarter mile wide. Had not entrance to the sea.
The township of…
With the 2014 state election imminent, this post looks briefly at two very different people who have represented Port Melbourne:
Frederick Derham arrived in Melbourne in 1856. Following the death of his first wife, Ada, he married Francis Dodd Swallow, the daughter of his business partner Thomas Swallow. He became the managing director of the company in 1888 and the sole…
Talking of plaques, and their near neighbour, foundation stones, I noticed that the memorial stone on the Holy Trinity Church Hall has recently been re-pointed and is now a deep smooth grey.
The stone marks the opening of the Holy Trinity Church Hall by F. T. Derham in 1886. As you may know, Derham was Thomas Swallow's son-in-law. He was appointed partner…