Its blowing a gale on the Bay as PMHPS prepares this post. A bit of a change gale is happening in Port’s environs.
Major Projects Victoria is inviting Expressions of Interest for Princes Pier.
Submissions are invited that
- activate the pier as a high quality place on the waterfront and contribute to the broader revitalisation of Beacon Cove
- encourage Melburnians, local residents, and visitors to Port Melbourne to visit the pier, stay longer and interact
- improve the year round look, feel and function of the pier and contribute to its rich heritage
- accommodate public access requirements and events and fit within the local setting and planning controls
- provide a revenue stream to offset the costs of the ongoing management of the pier.
Places Victoria has released its draft vision for Fishermans Bend. All the documents are available on the Places Victoria website1
The closest information forums to Port are
- Tue 8 October: 5-7pm – Sol Green Community Centre, Cnr Coventry and Montague Sts, South Melbourne
- Sat 19 October: 10am-12pm – Gasworks Farmers Market, Cnr Graham and Pickles St, Albert Park
- Wed 30 October: 5-7pm – Boyd School, 207 City Road, Southbank
Submissions are due on the 22 November. PMHPS will review the draft vision to see what it says about heritage in a subsequent post.
1 Note: Documents relating to Fishermans Bend can now be found on the Victorian Government website for the Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions, Fishermans Bend: Australia’s largest urban renewal precinct. (6 January 2021)