Skip to content Skip to footer
Town Hall, 333 Bay Street, Port Melbourne
Town Hall, 333 Bay Street, Port Melbourne

Finders Sharers

SAn excitement of being a member of the PMHPS is to find – and share – material. Here are some recent finds from members relating to Swallow and Ariell.

These three cheery short films of Day in the Life of a Biscuit Factory cover many aspects of the Swallow and Ariell operation against the very familiar and yet changed backdrop of Rouse and Princes St. It’s worth watching just to listen to the voice over.

Meanwhile, the Face2Face exhibition at the Royal Historical of Victoria includes a photograph of women employees, office staff and management of Swallow & Ariell Biscuit and Cake Manufacturers standing outside the factory, Port Melbourne, c1920 – another reason, if one was needed, to visit this interesting exhibition.

Some of the richest but lesser known resources held by the PMHPS are the audio-recordings of talks given to the Society’s monthly meeting over many years. One such talk from 1995 relates to the re-development of the Swallow and Ariell biscuit factory into the Anchorage apartments.

Andrew Buxton explains how they approached the redevelopment – one of the earliest in the transformation of Port Melbourne’s waterfront in the ‘1990s. He explains the rationale for demolishing the 1937 building facing the foreshore:

Swallows iv
The 1937 Swallow and Ariell building
Alison Kelly collection

“We sold a very high percentage of units that face the water, what we saw as the attraction of the site which hadn’t been taken advantage of. …We feel the water deserves to be looked at and height is the way to achieve that … We fought fairly vigorously to have the building on cnr Beach and Stokes taken off the historic register. (We) didn’t feel it did justice to anything. What we were going to do to the remaining historic buildings was our contribution. Had we not got that through, the rest of the project could have been put in jeopardy. That was certainly our attitude.”

The 1937 factory was built by the firm Clements Langford, prominent builders in Melbourne associated with building the spires of St Paul’s Cathedral.

It was difficult to find a photograph of the 1937 building viewed from the foreshore – the one in the Society’s collection is a very poor quality. Might you have one hiding at home?


Australian Screen on line

Andrew and Richard Buxton talk about The Anchorage project 27 November 1995

Face2Face: RHSV Collection into the 1940s  : 239 A’Beckett St : 19 March (closing July)




Leave a comment

PMHPS acknowledges the generous support of the City of Port Phillip.


The content of this site (images and text) must not be reproduced in any form without the prior consent of PMHPS or the copyright holder.

Acknowledgement of Traditional Custodians

We respectfully acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the land on which we meet and work, the Bunurong Boon Wurrung and Wurundjeri Woi Wurrung peoples of the Eastern Kulin Nation and pay respect to their Elders past, present and emerging.