by David Thompson
On Sunday, 8 Nov 1953 Port Melbourne Mayor, Cr E J Purchase with Crs J P Crichton and T G Douglas accompanied by the Port Melbourne Municipal Band attended the grave of the late Cr Tom Griffin at Lancefield.  This had become an annual pilgrimage since Griffin's death three years earlier.
Advertisement, The Record, 15 August…
In the days before supermarkets and large shopping centres the people of Port Melbourne and other inner suburbs shopped every day at small local shops located cheek by jowl amongst their own houses.
One such shop was located on the corner of Esplanade East and Spring Street East.
PMHPS has a digital copy of a photograph album compiled…
Cruikshank Street in 2019. Photograph by David Thompson.
Cruikshank Street and by extension, Little Cruikshank Street are named after William Cruikshank.
Cruikshank Street runs from Pickles Street in the north, across Bridge Street to Liardet Street in the South. Little Cruikshank to the east of the main street runs from Bridge Street to Liardet Street.
William Cruikshank came to Sandridge in…
Plummer Street near J L Murphy Reserve. Photo by David Thompson
Plummer Street runs between Bridge Street and Prohasky Street with a section running the length of J L Murphy Reserve.
Andrew Plummer was born in 1812 in Dalkieth, Scotland. He came to Australia in 1853 and established a medical practice in Bay Street having qualified in medicine at Edinburgh University.…
Seisman Street runs between Dow Street and Esplanade West near Liardet Street. Originally known as Clark Street, but unproclaimed as an official street, Sandridge Council at their meeting on Thursday 22 November 1883 approved that it be renamed Seisman Street, after the immediate past Mayor, Cr Frederick Seismann. The reasoning being that a Clark Street, already proclaimed, existed in the west of…