Skip to content Skip to footer
Town Hall, 333 Bay Street, Port Melbourne
Town Hall, 333 Bay Street, Port Melbourne

Prohasky Street

William Henry Prohasky served on the Port Melbourne Council from August 1885 to September 1893. He was Mayor from 1888 to 1889. His fellow councillors were Poolman, Plummer, Edwards, Salmon, Turnbull, and Tarver. He lived at that time at 73 Evans St on the corner of Farrell St in Gloster House, one of three adjacent houses built by…

Read more

Bismarck Street

by David Radcliffe Around Port Melbourne there are streets, like Bain Street, that once existed but have since disappeared. There are many more streets whose name has been changed. In April 1878, a cluster of intersecting streets in the south-western corner of the rapidly expanding Sandridge were gazetted as shown below.1 One of these was Bismarck Street. Note the self-referential nature of…

Read more

Barkly Avenue

Surely such a grandly named boulevard would be one of the more prominent streets in Port Melbourne. Nothing could be further from the truth. Barkly Avenue is a short laneway off Garton Street, tucked in behind Crockford Street. It is named in honour of Sir Henry Barkly who was Governor of Victoria when the Borough of Sandridge gained separation from…

Read more

Smith Street and Smith Reserve

Two streets, one in Port and one in South Melbourne, as well as a section of Port Melbourne's Railway Reserves, are named after Thomas Smith. This rare distinction reflects Smith's 'lengthy and irreproachable'1 service as Councillor and Mayor, first in South Melbourne and later in Port Melbourne. He also represented Emerald Hill in the Legislative Assembly. Smith Reserve, Rose Postcards, State Library…

Read more

The Mystery of Dubbeldan’s Lane

Research by David Radcliffe and David Thompson In July 2021, Allan Marshall posted a photograph of Doubledan's Lane, Port Melbourne from Building and Real Estate magazine, February 1916 (above) on the Born and Bred in Port Melbourne Facebook page stating that he had checked period maps but couldn’t find any mention of the location.   Allan posts old photographs of Port on…

Read more

Ellinis Mews

Pedestrian access to Ellinis Mews from Beacon Road, Photograph by David Thompson Ellinis Mews is a short residential street in Beacon Cove but I'm not sure where the connection with stables is other than in the developers' minds. To me it is a Court or what we would have called in Ireland a Close or, if we wanted to be…

Read more

Legon Street

by David Radcliffe Legon Street is one of those tiny streets in Port Melbourne tucked away off the main thoroughfares, not easy to find and doubtless a bane in the life of delivery drivers and removalists. It is a dead end street with relatively narrow entrances off Dow and Graham Streets. When the land bounded by Graham, Dow and Rouse…

Read more

Aircraft of Fishermans Bend

At the bottom end of Lorimer Street in the shadows of the Westgate Bridge there is a series of streets that reflect one the key industries that has occupied the area since the mid 1930s. Although now part of the City of Melbourne, these streets are named after aircraft associated with the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation and Government Aircraft Factories on Fishermans Bend and are…

Read more

Todd Road

In 2016, Janet Bolitho wrote about Archibald Todd, State President and Federal Vice-President of the Timber Workers' Union, Port Melbourne Councillor and Mayor, and Member of the Victorian State Parliament so it's no secret that Todd Road is named in his honour. Todd Road does not appear on the Port Melbourne landscape until the 1970s but what was there before…

Read more

Emery Street

Margaret Bride Emery Street is one of the shortest streets in Port Melbourne. It runs between Williamstown Road south to Edwards Avenue opposite Letts Reserve, Garden City. It is named in honour of George Emery, General Manager of the State Savings Bank of Victoria from 1897 to 1929.  Bankers are not often seen to be people of imagination but Emery…

Read more