In 2016, Janet Bolitho wrote about Archibald Todd, State President and Federal Vice-President of the Timber Workers' Union, Port Melbourne Councillor and Mayor, and Member of the Victorian State Parliament so it's no secret that Todd Road is named in his honour.
Todd Road does not appear on the Port Melbourne landscape until the 1970s but what was there before…
Tarver St is a short street - only 500m long - between Prohasky and Salmon Sts in Port Melbourne.
William Richardson Tarver was born in Daventry, Northamptonshire and came to Australia on the steamship Great Britain in 1857 aged 12. His brother, Thomas, had preceded him, arriving the year before on the Royal Charter. Their father, James ,established the Vulcan…
Only a fragment of the presence of the massive engineering firm of Malcolm Moore Pty Ltd survives in Bertie St, Port Melbourne.
Remnant of the extensive Malcolm Moore factory in Bertie St - note the logo at top right
Malcolm Moore set up his firm's manufacturing centre in Williamstown Road, Port Melbourne in 1927. Branches were later opened in every State capital…
From the Collection - Charles Wynn Kiver Allison’s photo album c1920 (catalogue number 2197)
Sixty-six tiny but beautifully photographed views of piers and wharves under construction are treasured in this small album.
It belonged to New Zealand-born Charles Wynn Kiver Allison MIEA, who in the 1920s was the head engineer with the Melbourne Harbor Trust.
Many major developments in the Port…
Melbourne Harbor Trust monogram
The Port of Melbourne looks certain to be sold or leased after this year’s state election. This post very briefly surveys the history of the Port of Melbourne and Port Melbourne's relations with its powerful neighbour.
The Melbourne Harbor Trust was established in 1877 to bring a coordinated approach to shipping and to improvements to port facilities. Its…
PMHPS has observed a notice of application for a planning permit for this house on the corner of Nott and Farrell Sts, Port Melbourne.
Morley's Cottage: cnr Nott and Farrell Streets
This is where William Morley lived. Morley was the the first chairman of Sandridge when it became a municipality in 1860. He was Mayor in 1867 and remained a Councillor until…
The Town Planning Commission report of 1929 was very critical of the entrance to Melbourne from Port Melbourne. It reported that 'this approach to Melbourne is a drab and shabby one'.
The honorary secretary of the Commission, Frank Heath, said hopefully 'What a difference a tree lined boulevard, extending for several miles around the esplanade would make to the Port Melbourne…