by David Thompson
After months of meetings, planning and a rearrangement of dates and events, April 30, 1932 marked the first day of the Back-to-Port Melbourne festivities.
The Age that morning promoted the event with the inclusion of an illustration of the tent used by the Holy Trinity church in 1853 under the heading Glimpses of Old Melbourne.
Glimpses of Old Melbourne,…
Church St (highlighted), MMBW Map (detail), 1895. State Library of Victoria
Church Street is the Z-shaped laneway running from Stokes Street to Nott Street highlighted above on an MMBW map from 1895.
St Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, MMBW Map (detail), 1895. State Library of Victoria.
The Stokes Street end of Church Street is opposite St Joseph's Roman Catholic Church which was…
by Margaret Bride
170 Farrell Street, 2022. Photograph by David Thompson.
On the west side of Farrell Street is a wooden building with a sign Full Gospel Assembly, although by its neat garden and fence it is clear that it is a private house. What is its story?
In 1885 West Sandridge was well developed, the blocks of land had been subdivided…
by David Thompson
Dulcie Smith, Queen of the Sunday School and her Court, Holy Trinity Carnival, November 1931. PMHPS Collection.
For many years this photograph remained an uncatalogued item in the Society's archives but thanks to a plea for information on Facebook in May 2022 we now know that it is Dulcie Smith, Queen of the Sunday School and her court…
Rev Noel Whale launching the English Church at Sandridge Exhibition, Port Melbourne Town Hall
Tonight we launched our exhibition to mark the 160th year of the Holy Trinity church in Port Melbourne. It was great to have the current Minister, the Rev Noel Whale on hand to talk about the history of the church in Bay Street and what it means…
It started with a tent service in 1854 and, since the sale and subsequent re-development of the main church building as apartments, continues the tradition of the Anglican Church in Port Melbourne at the now commissioned parish hall.
To celebrate the 160th year of The English Church at Sandridge, the Port Melbourne Historical & Preservation Society present an exhibition on the…
The original Church of England in the Borough of Sandridge was established in a tent on the corner of Bay and Graham Streets in 1854. It was reported in the Church of England Messenger of 1854 that '...a commodious tent, we'll fitted up, has been opened for Divine Service on Sundays and for a school during the week.'
To replace the…
A service was held at 10 am today at Holy Trinity Church, Bay Street, Port Melbourne to commemorate the first service held on this site 160 years ago. The 'commodious' tent of the 1850s was made of sailcloth. This one was kindly lent by the scouts.
Reverend Noel Whale outside Holy Trinity on Bay Street
Celebrations will be held throughout the year.