by Marlene Hegarty McPherson
At 10.30 AM on Easter Sunday 4th April 1920 the gasometer on the corner of Pickles Street and Graham Street Port Melbourne burst into flames. The flames were estimated at 130 ft (40 meters) high and 130ft (40 meters) in diameter. The heat was so intense it scorched buildings and people in the area, as iron pellets…
by Ray Jelley
As we have seen from previous articles about the history of Port Melbourne the many wooden cottages and their closeness to each other made them susceptible to fire spreading from one building to those adjoining it, should a fire break out in one. The lack of a reliable high-pressure water supply and the relative crudeness of firefighting…
At about half past 6 o'clock yesterday evening a fire broke out in Marshall's Boot Factory, in Nott Street, Port Melbourne, and in less than two hours, destroyed the whole of the building and a large quantity of stock, the whole valued about £10,000. The Argus, 18 September 1901
Readers of The Argus on the morning of 18 September 1901 were…
Liardet St No 41 Station, Port Melbourne (Fire Services Museum)
Our guest speaker, Ian Munro AFSM, MIFireE, MAIES will take a quick walk through 2,000 years of Fire Service history, finishing with a focus on Australia, Melbourne, and Port Melbourne.
Ian is a retired Senior Station Officer with 35 years working for the Metropolitan Fire Brigade (MFB). He has also…
Sandridge Motors, near the Graham Street overpass, is for sale by Exrpession of Interest. According to the board, the land is zoned General Residential with a maximum height limit of 18 metres (6 storeys).
The Clare Castle Hotel on the other side of the overpass is also for sale. It too is on land zoned General Residential "offering excellent future development…
3 September 2015
Fire at the former Port Theatre, Bay Street, Port Melbourne Sunday 30 August 2015 - Courtesy MFB Facebook Page
Another piece of Port Melbourne’s history may have been claimed by fire. The building that was once the Port Theatre, on the corner of Bay and Liardet Streets, was severely damaged by fire last Sunday.
Around 80 fire fighters…
Fire at 1 - 7 Waterfront Place
The damage done - Waterfront Place
In the early hours of September 14th 2014, fire broke out in the buildings at 1-7 Waterfront Place. Fire crews arrived on site at 1.42 am. 70 firefighters attended the fire. The area formerly occupied by the Platypus Junction childcare centre was worst affected.
The cause of the fire…
The Hilaria, a 1,500 ton two-masted ship from New York caught fire at Town Pier on the morning of the 7th July 1895.
Earlier it had been ordered to an outer anchorage away from the pier as its manifest included a case of detonators as well as the usual general cargo including kerosene, rosin and other flammable materials. The Captain had no…
Portrait of a young man in Sandridge Volunteer Fire Brigade uniform by William J Burman. Ca 1876-77 John Etkins Collection, State Library of Victoria
With bushfire alerts all over ABC radio this week and the lingering smell and haze of smoke in the air my eyes were drawn to the Society bookshelves and a great little publication called 'Fire in the…